Tuesday, June 17, 2014

A Little Unorthodox But Effectively Successful

With the failure of the spore sprouting test on Lab Sample NF-2014-001 things have turned a bit gloomy around the Nomadic Fungi Institute. Then this morning the NFI archivist approached me with his head hung low, and I thought to myself Damn, he's going to resign. Just what I need, staff quitting just because one damn lab test didn't work out....

Not surprisingly he began the conversation with "I think you are going to be mad at me, but I have something to tell you."

Struggling to keep the growl out of my voice, I responded "Go ahead, I'm sure we can work something out." 

He stood there for a half second, then with a stutter he said "Well, when we were doing the lab work on the spore sample, I couldn't find any disinfectant to clean the tools with so I used kerosene from an old can I found out in the tool shed. And, well, afterwords I didn't want to pour the kerosene down the sink, so I put the bucket in the shed, next to the lawnmower. And, well, I don't know how it got in there, but when I went out to the tool shed today I found this in the bottom of the bucket, and, well..."

He held out a Matchbox Ford Gremlin covered in green and yellow carbuncles. My eyes did that cartoon bug out thing and I yelled "Eureka! We have sprouted spores!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment